Monday, January 16, 2012

Meta-Blog Post

After rereading some of my older blogs, the change in my writing is quite apparent. One of the things that bothers me though, is that in one of my first blog posts, the NFL: Winning?, I referenced statistics from an article, tied the issue back to American themes, and then connected the issue to previous events in American history. Now don't get me wrong, I'm very proud of my first blog, and the effort and process I took in writing it, which is why it makes me so upset to read blogs like, Fantasy Football. One of the things I've learned from blogging this year is that there is nothing worse than a forced blog. My problem was that when the week started coming to an end, and I still didn't have a blog, I would just force a blog out just to get the weekly requirement up. Not only the topic of fantasy football is hard to write a good blog post on, but not impossible, in all honesty it is one of the worst blogs I've written all year. There is no sentence or quote on its own that could be put in this blog to display this blog's weakness, but if you were to read Fantasy Footabll and compare it to one of my newer blogs, you will see the difference. A change in my writing that made a big difference was anchoring my arguments to a text. In my blog Fall From Grace, I analyze Sidney Crosby and his plaguing injuries using quotes from ESPN. Its unbelievable how much stronger my argument is when its backed up by ESPN, and Sidney Crosby himself. Also, one of the things that has helped my writing is leaving the blogs ending up for question. For example, in the Fall From Grace blog, I ended it in, "In this society will anyone be remembered positively?". The importance of this is that my blog doesn't just end in one post, it can be continued in the comments or even in further blogs. My writing has progressed from forced, stand alone arguments to strong arguments anchored in text.

1 comment:

  1. Griff!

    Like your observation that "there is nothing worse than a forced blog", and I hope you share it with your peers!

    Why not try quoting from your own posts, especially this one: "[t]here is no sentence or quote on its own that could be put in this blog to display this blog's weakness"? People love a car crash, after all and it makes your writing more memorable and engaging. Show, don't tell!

    ReplyDelete